The speciality minerals supplier Imerys announced that it will be showcasing its one-stop-shop offer to make plastics stronger, lighter, more sustainable and cost-effective. The company delivers functional solutions to various industrial sectors, from processing industries to consumer goods. Amongst others, the offer includes:
- HAR talcs for automotive lightweighting: The products are said to enhance the performance of thermoplastic olefin and polypropylene compounds where they increase stiffness, maintain good impact resistance and lower coefficient of linear thermal expansion (CLTE), allowing designers to achieve zero gap tolerancing. The combination reduces wall thickness and weight with a corresponding improvement in fuel economy.
- ImerLink for recycled plastics to behave like virgin resin: The product is said to allow manufacturers to move from expensive, highly sorted recycled polymers to a more cost effective solution which utilises the mixed waste fraction, extending the number of useful sources of recycled plastics and boosting recycling rates.
- Ensaco conductive carbon blacks for high conductivity at low loadings: The products are characterised by high structure and purity, while meeting stringent requirements for easy dispersion in polymeric matrices. They are mainly used as conductive additives for making insulating polymers permanently conductive at low loadings.
- Timrex graphites for self-lubrication, thermal conductivity and electrical conductivity: The products are a diverse range of carbons, from high-purity synthetic graphite with customisable particle sizes and morphologies, to naturally occurring graphite. Main applications for graphites in polymers are linked to their thermal, self-lubricating, electrical conductivity benefits.
- InFusion for maximum loading in PVC applications: The product has been engineered to provide optimal cost benefits for PVC applications while maintaining mechanical and optical properties.
- FilmLink and FiberLink for technical films: Imerys offers these calcium carbonate products for technical films such as BOPP, breathable films, hygiene films, and nonwovens. The technology is said to provide customers with faster throughput, reduced rejection rates and the ability to downgauge with strength.
- ImerSorb for odour and VOC emission reduction: This highly absorbent mineral range locks in volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and inhibits odours in plastics and elastomers, making interior air cleaner and fresher. ImerSorb has been designed to help meet recent legislation which imposes limits on the concentration of certain solvents.
- Nyglos wollastonite for improved thermo-mechanical properties and glass fibre (GF) replacement in polyamide formulations: The wollastonite portfolio includes high aspect ratio products that confer improved thermo-mechanical properties to plastics, especially polyamides. Due to their specific morphology, specially designed surface treatment, high aspect ratio wollastonite grades can replace milled glass fibres and extend short glass fibres (SGF), enabling compounders to obtain higher stiffness / HDT performance and satisfactory impact resistance levels.