Lubrizol announced a USD 2 million donation commitment to support COVID-19 needs globally. This pledge extends the work the company is already doing as companies across the globe leverage Lubrizol’s science for hand sanitizers, medical gowns, face masks, drug products, medical devices, transport vehicles and countless other applications.
“Every day, our employees deliver products that enable the world to move cleaner, create smarter and live better, and our team is fully committed to meet those needs, do it safely and deliver even greater impact during this global crisis,” said Eric Schnur, Lubrizol President and CEO. “In addition to the work that ends up in critical end-use products, we have been and will continue to support communities in need throughout this pandemic.”
As part of its USD 2 million donation pledge, the company said it has already contributed USD 325,000 in critical supplies to hospitals and charitable organisations in China, is supporting hospitals and medical staff in the USA and Europe, established a US matching gift programme with the American Red Cross, and is building a team of employees to provide virtual volunteering support, among many other efforts. The company said it also is leveraging its science to enable important end-use products critical in this environment, including:
- Enabling 1 billion additional bottles of hand sanitizer every month: Lubrizol will enable an additional 1 billion bottles of hand sanitizer globally every month by increasing its Carbopol polymer production. These polymers efficiently thicken hand sanitizer formulations and allow the gel-like form we know them as today, which allows for a more complete and effective application. Since early January 2020, the company converted its global manufacturing assets to prioritize supply for cleansing and sanitizing products.
- Partnering to solve personal protection equipment and critical supply shortages: Lubrizol’s Estane thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) materials are being applied in a multitude of applications to help protect responders and fight COVID-19. The TPU’s versatility, durability and barrier properties bring value in protective garments, face shields, barrier curtains, hoses, tubing and cables, and devices produced through 3D printing. Lubrizol material scientists are collaborating with customers across the globe to help them adjust their operations to serve these urgent needs and address critical shortages.
- Contributing to medical devices and pharmaceuticals: Lubrizol teams supporting pharmaceutical customers are ensuring active ingredient delivery in a variety of drug products, while also supplying medical customers with flexible, biocompatible materials for vascular catheters, IV tubing sets, wound dressings and medical device components utilised in ventilators, valves, and infusion pumps.
- Moving more than half of the world’s vehicles: Lubrizol said its additives keep more than half of the world’s vehicles running reliably and efficiently. During this pandemic, the company is continuing its role in supporting the world’s infrastructure, including keeping first responder and delivery vehicles moving.
- Protecting food packaging and delivering clean water: Lubrizol’s coatings chemistry is protecting millions of packages of food and other staples, while its materials used in piping systems reliably deliver clean water for hand washing and safe drinking.
- Keeping 8,800 employees safe: Lubrizol is keeping its 8,800 employees safe. According to the company, as part of its safety culture, it had pandemic plans and teams in place well before COVID-19. These teams were activated early and regularly assess and follow global health recommendations, as well as local guidance in all areas where the company operates. Employees who can are working from home. In other locations, the company minimised the number of employees on site, initiating rotations where feasible, practising social distancing and instituting additional cleaning procedures. In all locations, Lubrizol has a range of policies to support employees as they seek to balance their professional and personal lives during this unprecedented time.