From 8 – 11 September 2020, the Institute for Plastics Processing (IKV) will, for the first time, stage the 30th International Colloquium Plastics Technology in a completely digital form, because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The IKV anniversary colloquium 2020 – in combination with the International Symposium on Plastics Technology, which will take place digitally one day before the colloquium on 7 September 2020 – offers participants a wide variety of future-oriented and practical research highlights from the world of plastics.
The programme of lectures of the colloquium will be spread over four afternoons instead of two full days to take into account the special situation of the virtual participants. With the new concept, IKV will enable in particular international guests to participate in the event without complications – firstly through the time change of the programme, which takes into account the different time zones, and secondly through the streaming of an English version of the lectures. The event has also been restructured so that two instead of three lecture sessions run in parallel, which means that the participants can ‘attend’ more lectures.
Despite the new aspects, the colloquium will, even in the virtual format, remain true to its motto „Recruiting. Networking. Innovating.“ 15 lecture sessions with keynote papers from industry representatives plus research reports from IKV scientists will constitute the core element of the conference. The complete sessions will be shared with the community by live transmission from IKV, and the contents will then be up for discussion. Also the established plenary papers on current key topics affecting the industry – Industry 4.0 and circular economy – will be retained. The wide variety of topics will also be an important feature of the new digital colloquium. An opportunity for networking will be provided by forums and topic rooms, which, like the lectures and all other parts of the digital programme, will be accessible via a specially developed Internet platform.
An important part of the colloquium has, for many years now, been the opportunity to take a look behind the scenes into the IKV laboratories and pilot plants. The real visit to the Institute in the context of „IKV 360°“ will, in 2020, become a virtual visit with demonstrations of innovative projects and ongoing processes at around 60 stations from all IKV’s research areas. Despite the forward-looking approach of the topics and projects, the anniversary will also take a look back: 70 years of IKV and the history of German plastics technology will be made visible in various digital offerings. For example, some of the best scenes from many years of „beer colloquia“ will be presented in a “best-of” show. Also the presentation of the Georg Menges prize, which is awarded at every colloquium to an outstanding personality or institution from the field of plastics technology, will be covered digitally in the virtual room.
Preview: topics of the 15 sessions at a glance
- Process-setup in injection moulding by Human-Machine-Interfaces and AI
- Throughput increase and quality assurance in packaging technology
- Advanced fluid modelling in rubber processing
- Precise, reproducible process control for injection moulding
- Simulative optimisation of mixing and die technology in extrusion
- New methods for testing and quality assurance of high-perfomance FRP
- New injection moulding products using melts loaded with blowing agents
- Integrative simulation methods for optimised injection moulding products
- Plasma modified barriers and membranes
- Digital Shadows for data based material and process characterisation
- Multi scale material modelling for predicting part properties
- Developments for the resource-efficient production of PET bottles
- Process and design optimisation in additive manufacturing
- Increasing precision in injection moulding by controlled solidification
- Quality features of UD tape-based laminates for forming simulation
International Symposium on Plastics Technology
On the day before the colloquium, the IKV will digitally host the International Symposium on Plastics Technology with 36 contributions from international scientists in the field of polymer research. The conference language is English – there is no translation service.
According to the IKV, the scientific symposium offers those being curious about cutting edge plastics technology an inspiring forum for exchange on research and innovation to discuss urgent questions and latest findings, to network and to experience impulses for the future of plastics technology. Connecting the Symposium with the International Colloquium Plastics Technology provides a unique opportunity to experience both international scientific perspectives and practice-oriented research in a concentrated and dense manner.
- Circular economy
- Hybrid materials and additive manufacturing
- Injection moulding
- Lightweight technologies
- Simulation and digitisation