The year 2020 will be an anniversary year in three respects for the IKV – Institute for Plastics Processing in Industry and Craft at RWTH Aachen University: The RWTH Aachen University celebrates its 150th anniversary, IKV will celebrate its 70th birthday and it will be the 30th time it stages the International Colloquium Plastics Technology – on 11 – 12 March 2020 in the Eurogress Aachen. The day before the Colloquium, on 10 March 2020, IKV will mark its anniversary by holding the International Symposium on Plastics Technology in the VIP area of the Tivoli soccer stadium. While the Colloquium will present the broad range of IKV research and will target primarily the plastics industry with its practice-oriented research, the Symposium will feature papers from scientists from 14 countries, and aims to arouse lively discussion between scientists and industry.
The main highlight of the International Colloquium Plastics Technology will be the plenary papers on circular economy, digitalisation/Plastics Industry 4.0, and additive manufacturing. The research topics at the Colloquium will be covered in 15 lecture sessions, each consisting of two presentations from IKV scientists plus a keynote paper from an industry expert (see session topics below).
The topics of the International Symposium on Plastics Technology, which will be held completely in English, also include circular economy, Plastics Industry 4.0 and additive manufacturing but will also feature lightweight technologies, injection moulding and extrusion. The head of the IKV, Prof. Christian Hopmann, described the difference between the two events as follows: “At IKV we always have our sights on both science-oriented fundamental research and application-oriented research for industry. With our Symposium, we want to give space to fundamental research and have therefore asked scientists from all over the world to present their projects and discuss them with both science and industry.”
The application-oriented research will become particularly clear at the Colloquium at the agenda item “IKV 360°”. On the afternoon of the first day of the event, IKV will open its doors to participants of the Colloquium and will present its research live in the IKV pilot plants and laboratories. The scientists will be on hand at the up-and-running machines to answer any questions. Another proven part of the Colloquium is the industry trade show in the foyer of the Eurogress Aachen, which offers exhibitors the possibility to present solutions for the plastics segment and talk to industry partners. IKV is expecting exhibitors from the whole value chain: raw material producers, machine manufacturers, converters, providers of peripheral equipment, and engineering services.
For the anniversary Colloquium – the 30th event in the 70th year of IKV – the institute is again expecting around 800 specialists from the global plastics industry. The presentations at the Colloquium will be interpreted simultaneously into English and those at the Symposium will be given in English. The 15 sessions at the 30th International Colloquium Plastics Technology include:
- Process-setup in injection moulding by Human-Machine-Interfaces and AI
- Throughput increase and quality assurance in packaging technology
- Advanced fluid modelling in rubber processing
- Precise, reproducible process control for injection moulding
- Simulative optimisation of mixing and die technology in extrusion
- New methods for testing and quality assurance of high-performance FRP
- New injection moulding products using melts loaded with blowing agents
- Integrative simulation methods for optimised injection moulding products
- Plasma modified barriers and membranes
- Digital shadows for data based material and process characterisation
- Multi-scale material modelling for predicting part properties
- Developments for the resource-efficient production of PET bottles
- Process and design optimisation in additive manufacturing
- Increasing precision in injection moulding by controlled solidification
- Quality features of UD tape-based laminates for forming simulation